Wednesday Blog: Get Active!
By: Cindy McCarthy
Founder, On The Go Chicago
Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean we can’t stay active with our kiddos. Sure, it is so much easier to stay moving when you can simply stroll down to the neighborhood park, but there are plenty of ways to stay active with the wee ones when the weather outside is not quite so sunny!
Here are five ideas for keeping things moving on a cold day!
- Take a mom and tot workout class! Stroller Strides, Active Moms Club, Bloom Yoga and Bubbles Academy all offer great workout classes that you can do with your baby/toddler.
- Bust-a-move at a kids concert! Little Beans Café, The Beat Kitchen and Old Town School of Folk Music regularly host awesome kids concerts.
- Take a stroll through a museum! Many of Chicago’s museums are quite large and have dedicated kids areas. You can easily walk a mile at the Museum of Science and Industry (don’t miss The Idea Factory) or the Field Museum (don’t miss the Crown Family Playroom). Check out a family pass from your local library, and visit for FREE.
- Explore the Garfield Park Conservatory! The conservatory is the perfect place to walk around on a cold day. It is surprisingly large, free and offers a wide variety of kid-friendly activities. Check out their Wild Wednesdays and weekend craft projects.
- Go make your own fun! There are lots of fun and active games you can play inside too. Start a game of Musical Chairs, Freeze Dance, Hide and Seek or Duck Duck Goose.
About Cindy & On The Go Chicago
In addition to raising her two daughters here in Chicago, Cindy McCarthy is an urban explorer of kid-sized Chicago and editor of onthegoChicago.com, a blog that highlights where to go eat, shop, play and learn in Chicago. on the go was named Best Local Blog by Parents Magazine in 2012. You can also follow Cindy on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and MyFinds.
Entry filed under: Superfriends. Tags: Active, active moms' club, Bloom Yoga, Bubbles Academy, Chicago, Cindy McCarthy, Fun, Kids, little beans cafe, on the go Chicago, Outdoors, Play, Square One Organics, Stroller Strides.